If you’ve found mold in your home, you’re probably wondering what the best way to remove it is. You may have heard that you could use a dehumidifier to remove mold from your home. The first and most important reason to use a dehumidifier to remove mold is that it solves the root problem—high humidity.
Most mold requires high humidity to grow, so by removing the excess moisture from the air, you make your home much less hospitable to mold spores. While it can make your home a less suitable environment for mold to grow, if you already have mold growth on the structure of your property, it may prevent more from growing, but it is not an effective method to treat the mold that is already causing damage to your home. Additionally, if the source of the mold is a water leak or storm damage to your property, that will also obviously need to be fixed for dehumidifiers to be successful in preventing future mold growth.
Dehumidifiers Prevent Future Mold Growth
By keeping humidity levels low, you create an environment that’s inhospitable to mold spores, so even if they float into your home on dust particles, they won’t be able to take root and grow. In other words, they also help prevent future mold problems before they start. But if mold has already caused damage and has taken root in a structure, dehumidifiers are not an effective tool to use to treat it.
What does toxic mold look like?
You’ve found a spot of mold in your home. Maybe it’s in the corner of the bathroom, or under the kitchen sink. It doesn’t look like much, so you figure you’ll just leave it be. After all, what harm can a little mold really do?
As it turns out, a lot of harm. Toxic mold is a serious health hazard, and it can cause everything from respiratory problems to neurological damage. In extreme cases, it can even be fatal. So if you’ve found mold in your home, don’t ignore it – take action to remove it immediately.
What Is Toxic Mold?
Toxic mold is a type of mold that produces harmful chemicals called mycotoxins. These mycotoxins can cause a wide range of health problems, including respiratory infections, headaches, dizziness, fatigue, and skin irritation. In severe cases, they can lead to memory loss, organ damage, and death.
Toxic mold usually looks like any other type of mold – it’s often green or black in color, and has a fuzzy or slimy texture. However, not all mold is toxic; in fact, most types of mold are relatively harmless. The only way to know for sure if a particular type of mold is toxic is to have it tested by a qualified professional.
If you’ve found what you believe to be toxic mold in your home, it’s important to act quickly. The longer you wait to remove the mold, the greater the chance that you or your family will suffer health complications as a result. In some cases, simply opening a window to air out the room may be enough to get rid of the problem; however, if the mold has taken root deep within the walls or flooring, you may need to call in a professional remediation team to safely remove it.
If you’ve found mold in your home, don’t panic – but don’t ignore it either. Take action immediately to identify whether or not the mold is toxic, and if so, take steps to remove it as quickly as possible. Toxic mold is a serious health hazard that should not be taken lightly; left unchecked, it can cause serious illness or even death. So if you see even a small spot of mold somewhere in your home, don’t hesitate to take action. Your health could depend on it.